Kirin was born on Sept 23, 2008. He was born a day before his due date and full of life. Kirin attended a daycare where his grandma worked and was a very busy infant always figuring out a way to move, often rolling across the floor before he could crawl. He was always healthy and had no sickness in his first 1 1/2 years of life.

On the Friday June 11, 2008 Kirin woke up with a small lump on his neck. We noticed the lump and went on our day. On Saturday, the very next day, Kirin woke up from nap and the lump had grown. After calling the doctor we were told without a fever Kirin could wait to be seen on Monday at the office. We thought Kirin had an ear ache or a start of a cold. On Monday June 14 Kirin went to his appointment, after a quick look the doctor walked out of the office and return very quickly with a second doctor. I was told that Kirin was being sent straight to the hospital for further testing, but the doctor would not say why. The drive to the hospital was the longest 20 minute drive I have ever driven. Once we arrived we were taken right to the wing, I stopped when I read the sign above the door, Children's Cancer Wing. No one said we were going to the cancer wing till I arrived. The volunteer walked me into the wing and it seemed that my heart stopped. Within minutes doctors examined Kirin and blood was drawn, more tests were ordered and a CT scan. Within an hour we knew for sure it was cancer. Later on the CT scan a large mass was found attached to Kirin's liver, this would explain his limp he had when he walked. Kirin’s blood pressure was extremely high from the pressure of the tumor. On June 16 Kirin had the tumor on his neck removed and biopsied, the results came back stage 4 Neuroblastoma, never heard of this before June 16, 2010 but now it is a word we know well.

Kirin started his treatments that week. He endured a round of chemo and several transfusions of blood and platelets. Kirin has continued to receive many more rounds of chemo and has had a stem cell harvest in Cleveland Ohio. He will have surgery on Oct 14th, 2010 to remove some of the mass on his liver and a stem cell transplant in mid November. Our second part of treatment includes many rounds of radiation. Although the doctors have given us grim numbers on curing Kirin’s cancer we are staying positive. I have said before Kirin is not a statistic he is our child and we will be positive knowing this is the best medicine for Kirin. He is full of life and has touched many hearts with his courage and strength. Kirin lives with his mother, grandmother, family friend, aunt, and uncle in Perrysburg Ohio.